Thursday, February 18, 2016

The only, not lonely, child

If you have met Duckie then you know she's unique.  She jumps out of the bed in the morning smiling and rearing to go.  As soon as she could talk, she would ask where are we going today.  She's never met a person she didn't like (or caught on to someone not liking her) and she's never shies away from an adventure.
She is fearless, a natural athlete and all around the most amazing person I know.

But I'm her mom, so I'm supposed to think she's the bee's knees.  Obviously I do.  But I also think she is extremely fortunate to have this personality and be an only child.  Most people have finally stopped asking us when we plan on having another child.  If you were just thinking of asking, the answer is a day after never.  After reading the above description of my glorious child you might wonder why.  Well I'm gonna tell you:

#1 Don't temp fate.  Every child is different and the easy baby that Duckie was is clearly a set up for baby #2 to never sleep and scream all day.  (its just statistics, people)

#2 Energy (or lack there of).  I'm no spring chicken (what's that? you say I don't look a day over 21?  thanks)  I strongly believe biology wants us to have children young so we can run around and entertain them all damn day.  Finances want us to wait until later to have kids so we can provide for them as much as we'd like.  But really if you wait for the money, you need to wait to be able to afford a nanny too.  I don't have a nanny.  I have a kid who I just said jumps up out of bed smiling every morning and she keeps it going all day.  Stop thinking about Leave it to Beaver and start thinking about if you really wanted to wake up that early!!!  Last thing I need is another kid to come between me and my pillow.
Duckie alone in the snow

#3 Three is the magic number - selfishly we just really like our three-some.  Me, Hubby and Duckie.  We role together as a squad.  We like buying 3 plane tickets and not 4.  I like cooking and having left overs.  Mostly I like not listening to two children bicker (well except when Duckie and Hubby get into it, they bigger like peers - ha!).

#4 She's just plenty - But seriously she is just enough. That's it.  All of our parenting needs are met by Duckie.  And since she has the personality that causes her to excel at only-childom she has no complaints.

She does however have loads of funny things to say, so here's a sample of this week's gems (all should be read imagining a sparkly, wide-eyed and excited 6 year old speaking.):

Summer Camp
Me: So I was thinking of maybe trying sleep away summer camp this year.
Duckie: Wait, what?  A camp where you can sleep!!!
Me: Yes, just like your day camp at the lake.  All the same activities, but then you have a cabin and you get to sleep with the other campers at night.
Duckie: What?! I get to sleep at the camp!!! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!
Me:  But you won't see mommy and daddy and its for two weeks.
Duckie:  Why only two weeks?
Me: Um.... Don't you think you might miss us?
Duckie:  Can I stay all summer?

Summer Camp and then some
Earlier in the week she heard me explaining to Hubby that I didn't think a girls only camp would be right for her.
Duckie:  But wait, at least at a girls camp they might answer my questions and tell us about private parts.
Me: (sigh) What do you want to know about your private parts? Mommy and Daddy can tell u anything u want to know. 
Duckie: Important things!  Like how when the food goes in it comes out as pee. 
Me & Hubby: (relieved) proceed to explain the digestive system. I start showing Google images of the intestines. She has lots of poop questions. As we wrap up ...
Duckie: Great now show me the pictures of the penis!

Ummm hmmm.  One and done.  

Gotta go.  Gotta store up energy for when Duckie gets home for school. Talk soon ... -BMK

No comments:

Post a Comment