Friday, August 19, 2016

... And then I nearly ruined summer

Just moments after I completed my last post about how I saved summer by booking a last minute cruise for just about free, it happened.  I finally responded to Dave, the voice in my head.  Actually, it was the voice of the Royal Caribbean agent, Dave, who when I booked asked, you have passports right? As, we wrapped up the conversation.  "Yup!" I said, as I forcefully declined his offers for travel insurance (that's for rookies).

So after I published the post, I took a trip down to the safe, figuring I might as well pack the passports now.  But really somewhere deep, deep down, I must have known.  It's been two years since they were last used.  What with school and finances getting in the way (and the lack of a worthy Olympics destination) we've been traveling a lot less and when we do its domestic.

So you already know where this is going.  I'm writing to you now from the Regional US Passport Office in Stamford CT.  As you may know children's passports expire every five years.  (If you have one, I'll wait while you check the expiration date).  I was sure those five years would be up sometime other than NOW!

So 8 days ago I was freaking out.  The kid's passport is expired, I booked a non-refundable trip, kid must appear in person to renew passport and THE KID IS AT SLEEP AWAY CAMP, 2.5 hours away.

Did you just stop breathing?  Well I did.  Hubby came home and we hyperventilated together.  We thought about hitting the road the next day picking her up from camp and driving the 2+ hours from there to the nearest emergency passport location(Stamford or NYC) and then driving her back to camp.  Only to have to go pick her up again to bring her home a week later.  I hate driving long distances. So this idea to me was basically signing up for torture.  Hubby doesn't mind driving, he likes it actually. But then he imagined how mad Duckie would be if we made her miss a day at, "the best place in the world! "

Ultimately we decided on the plan that brings us here, now the day before our early morning flight to Miami to board the cruise.  We left the house at 5:30 am this morning armed with the passport photos I'd asked the camp to take and send me and which I bugged the photo guy at Costco to print (Why can't you do it? But why? What policy?  Give me the thumb drive miss. Sigh) and the 1 million documents and completed forms needed.  With permission we picked Duckie up from camp 3 hours early and headed to Stamford.  We had an appointment for 1 pm but arrived around 11am. Our paperwork was accepted and fees taken by the very friendly staff within 10 minutes.  We were told to return at 3pm.  It's 3:05 and ...

Summer saved again!  Bring on the beaches and clear water ... Talk soon .. but not too soon.  BMK

1 comment:

  1. and Maia is getting bigger and taller with each passing day

    ReplyDelete