Thursday, April 21, 2016

Spring Break the Finale

Do you have a child who sleeps when other people are around?  A child who can pass out from sheer exhaustion? Does your child interrupt your party to say, it’s time for him/her to go to bed?  Is your child most likely to have her bra frozen at a sleepover?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, you don’t know Duckie!  (In my “You don’t know AARP” voice)

There is not one time I can look back on when she fell asleep while the party was still going.  Even when she was an infant, I’d see other babies just conk out on their parent’s shoulder or lap.  I’ve no idea what that feels like.  

Duckie slept in a moving stroller outdoors on lengthy excursions and in her room with the lights off.  That’s all it’s ever been.  If you want your kid to sleep, don’t invite Duckie for a sleep over.  If you want your kid to wind down, leave the party that Duckie is attending.   We once gave her Benadryl on a 13 hour flight.  Little known fact:  For a small percentage of the population Benadryl is an upper.  Guess who is part of the teeny, tiny percentage?
She was asleep.  No one was around

In the Caribbean after being left alone she finally gave in to a mid day nap


Six years in, I’ve accepted her for the party gal that she is and likely will always be.  To her, if there are people around, it’s the equivalent of the sun shining brightly.  It can’t be bedtime. When she does sleep, she normally goes down for a good 11-12 hours.  So I’m not mad at that.  Hubby and I are parents who actually have alone time.  But what happens when it’s just me and the kid?

Mommies don’t get boring.  At least not boring enough for Duckie to decide to sleep rather than spend 2 hours in our hotel room in Islamorada, doing everything possible to stay awake while simultaneously annoying me.  Then, as is her way in the company of others, she was up bright and early.  Did I mention that when she does not get her 11-12 hours of sleep per night she gradually turns into a Wildling? 

The following night we woke up at 5am to catch our flight from Fort Lauderdale to DC.  She’d clocked about 9 hours of sleep.  The next night, I had the distinct pleasure of sharing a room and bed with her at my brother’s house.  I waited until she was knocked out to get into the bed.  She slept pretty well, while kicking, pushing and kneeing me at all times.  At one point she reach out grabbed my scalp, dug her nails in and pulled.  Hmm … maybe she wasn’t really sleeping.

Anyway, she probably slept 9 or 10 hours that night.  The cumulative effect of several nights with not enough sleep were evident as we explored DC.  On the way into the White House she was convinced that I and all the members of the CIA were directing her to the wrong place, since that white building across the street must be the White House.  (Fact you already know: Every building near or on the National Mall is white.) Once inside she hopped and skipped and pranced her way through, which is what she did on our previous tour while singing “Ring Around the Rosie” as loud as possible.  Fortunately, this time the tour was self-guided, unlike the tour we did three years ago. So this time her shenanigans did not disturb anyone.  Whew!


But by the time we finished lunch at The Hamilton and walked to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, I was at my breaking point.  I had a delusion of taking to her to this awesome museum filled with rocket ships and she’d be like, “Aw mom, this is the greatest place on earth.  I can’t wait to learn how everything works!”  Instead she said, “This place is awesome” and proceeded to run from one exhibit to another, never taking a moment to absorb any information. Reading, which she recently became very good at, was not an activity in which she was willing to engage.  We got to go inside an actual space ship at her demand.  And she was in and out in under 10 seconds.  It was like she was checking off a 6 year-old’s bucket list of “Places I’ve never run through before.” 

Having been bombarded with non-stop questions about the itinerary for the last 3 days (Mom, when do we go to the White House? Mom do we go to the White House today or tomorrow?  Mom, you forgot to tell me when we are going to the White House!)  I was too burnt out to deal with, Mom can we go to this part of the museum? Mom where are we going after the museum? And on and on.  Fortunately, Hubby had joined us just before the White House Tour and seeing the glued on look of frustration on my face he said, “You need a break.” 
 

Typewriter Eraser at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Park
Fountain at Sculpture Park


Truer words had never been spoken.  Luckily for me, I did see enough of this coming to book us a room at Embassy Suites DC Convention Center.  Because if I had to sleep in the same room with the Wildling for another night I might had truly lost it.  Instead, the hotel had happy hour at 5:30pm.  Me and my sangria found our way to relaxation.   We were joined by a friend for drinks and then dinner and then we were passed out by 9:30pm.  And little Miss Wildling, was nice and cozy sleeping alone in the dark on the pull out sofa in the next room!  Ah! Peace is a two room suite for $190.   Bonus points for the free made to order breakfast.  (Better in New Orleans than DC but, free is for me.)

Take away:  It seemed like a really nice idea to have an extended spring vacation (10 days).  It also seemed like a cool idea to have most of that be just mommy and daughter.   Independently these could be good ideas.  Together, bad idea!  I’m still detoxing.  10 straight full days of parenting is really too much, particularly once the child can talk, think and form ideas.  I’m just sayin!

If you’d like to visit the White House, you’ll need to make a request through your Congressperson (senator or representative).  Most requests can be made via their websites or email.  You should make your request as far in advance as possible to increase the likelihood of having it approved.  You will not be notified of approval until approximately 2 weeks before. But again if you request more than 6 weeks in advance and avoid peak season (i.e. summer) you’ll get what you’ve requested.

Well I’ve been away for 10 days and the world didn’t wait for me to come back.  So I’ve gotta go lots to do (like schedule “me time.”)  Talk soon …. BMK


No comments:

Post a Comment